CANA, Va. — A home that caught fire at 220 Fish Lake Road Wednesday afternoon was saved thanks to the efforts of firefighters from three departments.
According to Cana Fire Chief Richard Sowers, the fire that started in an upstairs bedroom is still under investigation.
A passerby saw smoke coming from the eaves of the home and called for help at 3:42 p.m., Sowers said.
The home is owned by Charles Payne. His son was living in the home, but was not home when the fire started.
While Sowers said the downstairs was not damaged, the home is not livable because of the damage upstairs.
In addition to the Cana Fire Department, members of the Franklin and Bannertown Fire Departments responded to the scene. Cana Rescue Squad members also responded along with a lineman from Appalachian Power who turned off power to the home.