As children become older and schedules get busier, finding time for quality bonding with your family becomes harder. This new year, make a resolution to reconnect with your family in the kitchen. Exploring the ins and outs of cooking and baking is a great way to get your whole family together while getting to know each other on a new level.
Hickory Farms can help you with cooking and baking inspiration and ingredients from gift baskets that will make any recipe delicious.
* Get the little ones involved by asking them to peel fruit skins with their nimble fingers or separate ingredients.
* Start any meal with a healthy base of lean protein, like turkey summer sausage, lean ground beef or chicken.
* Easy snacks, like gourmet sausage, cheese and crackers or fruit salads, can be processed by older kids who can handle knives.
* While baking any type of dessert, teach your elementary school kids about measurements and the science of baking.
* Kids love to build their own meals – try a hot fudge sundae bar for dessert complete with ice cream, whipped cream, cherries and gourmet nuts.
* Every night after dinner, have the family get together to pack lunches for the next day – leftover ham, slices of gourmet cheese and sweet hot mustard make for a delicious sandwich.
* When you finally sit down for dinner, ask everyone to say the best thing about their day and what they are looking forward to the next day.
Even if you are unsure of yourself in the kitchen, don’t let that discourage you from trying a new adventure with your family. Start small with snacks and finger foods, then move on to more advanced meals or baked goods. Hickory Farms can help make your time in the kitchen more enjoyable with gourmet gift baskets filled with foods your whole family will savor.