Plans for Historic Hillsville’s July 4th Celebration are under way. The theme “Sweet Sounds of Freedom” has been selected to guide the parade entries and overall activities for 2014.
Parade awards will be given in the categories of Most Patriotic, Most Original and Best in Show, and will include a $100 cash prize and certificate. The parade will line up on Edgewood Drive at 3 p.m. and begin at 4 p.m. In order to be judged, all floats must be in line by 3:15 pm.
Food, music, children’s games and the terrific fireworks display at dusk will follow the parade at the VFW post on West Stuart Drive.
This year’s schedule of events includes:
* Parade Lineup on Edgewood Drive, 3 p.m.
* Float Judging , 3:15 p.m.
* “Sweet Sounds of Freedom” Parade, 4 p.m.
* Food, Music, Games at VFW Post 1115, opening ceremony 4:45 p.m.
* Fly By of Aircraft, 4:55 p.m.
* Music by local bands, inside stage, 5:00 p.m.
* Music by Backyard Groove, outside stage, 6 p.m.
* Watermelon, 7 p.m.
* Fireworks Extravaganza, approximately 9 p.m.
For information call Jessica Talley at 276-233-3479.