By Larry Chambers Carroll County public info
August 14, 2014
HILLSVILLE – The annual Carroll County Agricultural Fair gets underway Wednesday, Aug. 20, and continues through Sunday, Aug. 24 on the grounds of the Southwest Virginia Farmer’s Market in Hillsville.
Registration for Exhibits will be held on Monday, August 18 from 9 am through 6 pm at the Southwest Virginia Farmers Market Wholesale Warehouse – Exhibit Bay. Judging will follow! For more information, please visit our website at www.carrollcountyvafair.org and click on EXHIBITS.
The fair will provide a variety of events for the entire family.
Brinkley Entertainment from Walnut Cove, N.C., will provide carnival rides and shows during the fair.
The carnival schedule includes: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday – 5-10 p.m.; Saturday – noon – 11 p.m.; Sunday – 1-6 p.m. The fair site is located near the intersection of I-77/U.S. 58, exit 14.
Some of the featured events during the 5-day fair include:
* Wednesday: Music jam session from 7-9 p.m. on the Turman Stage; youth dairy show at 6:30 p.m.; a youth beef cattle show will be held after the dairy show under the livestock tent; demonstrations will be held throughout the fairgrounds.
* Thursday: Poultry and rabbit shows judging at 6 p.m. (check-in from 3-6 p.m. for poultry and 5-6 p.m. for rabbits); beauty pageant at 6 p.m. in the loading dock of the wholesale building.
* Friday: Youth meat and dairy goat show at 6 p.m. in the livestock tent (check-in 5-6 p.m.); recipe contest at the loading dock at 7 p.m. (check in from 6-6:55 p.m.); a storytelling will be held during the recipe contest judging time from 7-7:30 p.m.; a sanctioned lawnmower race will be held at 7:30 p.m.
* Saturday: Youth market lamb show at 11:30 a.m. under the livestock tent (weigh-in 8-10 a.m.); music jam session from 1-5 p.m. on the Turman Stage; local authors all day; drug dog demonstration at 11 a.m. between the wholesale building and barnyard; pet show from 2-3 p.m. for teens and adults and 3-4 p.m. for children 15 and under between the wholesale building and barnyard; forestry events begin at 10 a.m. children’s tent from 1-3 p.m. (tent across from the main gate entrance near the exhibit hall); cruise-in from 1-5 p.m. horse pull at 7 p.m.; 4-H family fun games will be held at various times throughout the day between the carnival area and arena.
* Sunday: coon dog bench and treeing contest at 4 p.m. (sign in from 3:30-4 p.m.) horse show at 1 p.m. (registration begins at 11 a.m.) wrestling at 3 p.m. in front of the wholesale dock and parking lot; demonstrations will also be held throughout the fairgrounds all day.
The goal of the fair is to be both fun and educational for people of all ages. The fair committee set admission rates low so families can come and enjoy themselves while learning about the importance of agriculture. While several of the fair events are centered on agriculture, several events are not directly related to agriculture such as the carnival rides, the storytelling, beauty pageant, cruise-in and more.
The fair committee added, “We hope that the fair will continue to develop each year into an event that the entire committee and area can enjoy and take pride in.”
Rates are: age 13 and up - $5; age 6-12 - $3; 0-5 years – free. Gate admission covers all fair sponsored events including unlimited carnival rides.
For more information, visit the official Fair website at www.carrollcountyvafair.org.